Knox Presbyterian Church, Oakville is seeking a Director of Music and Organist. The successful candidate must be interested in the development and leadership of our music ministries, work in harmony with our Worship Leadership (Kirk Session, Minister, Cluster Coach for Worship and Music), and remain consistent with our mission, vision and values (Hereafter “MVV”), which are as follows.
Our Mission: Developing Empowered and Loving Disciples of Christ
Our Vision: We will be a church that is a vibrant, outgoing witness to Christ. Through commitment to God, His teachings and concern for all people, we will be a congregation that acts on what we say and believe. We will be a church committed to sharing and caring for each other and those in our community and world. We will grow in faith as individuals and as a congregation through prayer, study, service, worship and fellowship. We will invoke the power of the Holy Spirit to strengthen and guide His church.
Knox believes in accountable, empowered ministry. Each person is accountable for his or her ministry to:
- the Lord Jesus Christ
- the person(s) to whom they minister
- the persons with whom they share ministry
- the Session and congregation of Knox
- We value our belief in the Holy Trinity, and accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour.
- We value our mission to make disciples for Jesus Christ and to minister to the needs of people.
- We value opportunities to strengthen our faith, and the faith of others, as a church body, in small groups and as individuals.
- We value people and their equality in the eyes of the Lord, providing powerful and effective ministry to each generation, from each generation.
- We value the ministry that comes through recognizing, developing and using the gifts with which we have been individually blessed.
- We value our Presbyterian roots and rich traditions of Knox Church, Oakville.
Responsibilities will include:
- Collaborating with Worship Leadership in the planning process for all services and pertinent events
- Planning and selecting music in accordance with the above
- Organ or piano accompaniment during all services, as required
- Leading and instructing the Chancel Choir during practice and worship
- Leading and instructing the Praise Band during practice and worship
- Leading and instructing Children’s Choirs during practice and worship
- Participating in the life and ministry of the church
- Providing accompaniment for weddings and funerals
- Arranging instrumentalists as required
- The organization and leading of special events, including:
- Advent worship service of lessons and carols
- Lenten Lunch series
- Holy Week services
- Communion Luncheons
- Arranging supply during vacation, time away
- Other duties as assigned
Requisite Qualities and Qualifications:
- Love and respect for people of all walks of life
- Spiritual maturity and an authentic relationship with Christ as Lord and Saviour
- Ability to shepherd volunteer musicians in Spirit-filled leadership and love
- Commitment to the church’s MVV, leadership and people
- Familiarity with and competency in multiplicity of musical styles and traditions
- Competence and experience playing the organ
- Competence in choral conducting
- Ability and willingness to train and teach amateur musicians
- Sense of humour and a positive attitude
- Flexibility and capacity to adapt to changing times and circumstances
- Ability to be dependable, self-directed and highly organized
- Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills
- Familiarity and/or comfort with technical aspects of worship services (soundboards, lighting, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree in Music (Master’s preferred)
- Minimum five years experience in a church setting
- Eligibility for employment in Canada
Our current organ is an Allen Electric. We also possess a Yamaha model G2G baby Grand piano. Variable schedule will likely amount regularly to 20 hours a week total. This figure is inclusive of planning and practice for all relevant events and services. Remuneration will be commensurate with RCCO guidelines, qualifications and experience, and vacation pay will be in compliance with the Ontario Employment Standards Act. While all applications will be gratefully received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and audition. This position begins in the coming Fall, 2017. Resumes and references may be emailed to our office.
Applications will continue to be accepted until August 4th, 2017.