- A building that is used every night of the week by our church and the community
- A kitchen that allows us to not only serve our congregation but the community too through meals and hands on learning experiences
- An accessible facility that is inclusive for all
- Enough washrooms so that we have no more line ups during worship or events
- A green space that welcomes our downtown community every hour of every day
- A church that is living out God’s call to be the community’s church in the heart of Old Oakville
New Roads is Knox Oakville’s new facility upgrade, but it’s also so much more than that. New Roads is an opportunity for us to come alongside God and together build a facility that is not only practical, but fully accessible to our current members and adherents and to the community, allowing us to better reach beyond our doors and serve more people in mission than ever before. Every renovation has a clear purpose and every change comes with a story. New Roads seeks to explore new avenues for Knox and the town of Oakville while leaving a lasting legacy for the generations yet to come.
The New Roads project is made up of three main phases:
Phase 1: Restore the Lower Level
The lower level of Knox is where New Roads will begin. Currently it’s not in use, but it’s in perfect condition to lay the foundation for a solid upgrade of Knox. Restoring the lower level will include the following in Phase 1:
- Restoring Nichol Hall to be used for functions and gatherings by both Knox and the community
- Providing a servery with access to the main kitchen for functions being hosted in both Nichol and MacMillan Hall. This will also be useful to our church school.
- Gender neutral washrooms including an accessible washroom
- All electrical and mechanical work for the lower level and main level
- Air conditioning for the building, including the sanctuary
- A new fire sprinkler system for the building
Phase 2: Interior Main Level
Once Phase 1 is complete New Roads will begin to transform the main level of Knox. Phase 2 includes the following upgrades to the facility:
- Installing an elevator and opening up a new set of stairs to the lower level
- Nearly doubling the size of the kitchen
- Remodeling MacMillan Hall and relocating the library
- Moving the kitchenette inside the parlour to make way for an additional washroom
- Relocating the Minister’s study and the main office to allow for a new, accessible Dunn/Lakeshore entrance that will be visible from both streets
- Opening up two new entrances to Knox: one from the parking lot and another from Dunn/Lakeshore where the old office was located
- A new fire panel and additional work to complete the fire suppression system
Phase 3: Garden and Landscaping (Exterior Work on Dunn & Lakeshore)
Once the interior of the building is finished, we will complete the New Roads upgrade by creating a fully accessible entrance, and a community garden and sitting area on the lawn beside Dunn St.
This project is a big step for us as a congregation. It’s a leap of faith in so many ways. But we’re looking forward to this journey together. As it says in Proverbs 16:9: “The human mind plans the way, but the Lord directs the steps.”
If you’d like to support the project with a donation, you can do so by cash or cheque (please make cheques out to Knox Oakville with “New Roads” on the memo line). You can also donate online right here.
We’re so grateful for the interest and support we’ve received from the community so far. We hope our project will allow us to open more doors to community groups seeking affordable and beautiful space to use. We hope it will allow us to welcome more people in mission and truly show the community that all generations are cared for and looked after at Knox. We aim to truly be the community’s church in the heart of Old Oakville.
All illustrations courtesy of Farrow Partners.